Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Melissa’s Journey to a New Self – January 2012, Entry #2: Getting Back on Track


Are you feeling lousy about yourself following your regrettable holiday splurge(s)? And perhaps you’re thinking that beating yourself up for overindulging is part of the cure? It does seem as though our culture has a knack for fueling our thoughts with negative affirmations as a tactic to rein in our poor eating choices or habits. In fact, I think many ‘dieters’ do believe this – but it is incredibly backwards. All of that self-criticism – calling yourself fat and other mean, nasty names – is really setting you up for emotional eating. Whereas positive affirmations can help create self-compassion and can be utilized as strategy for decreasing emotional eating and helping to prevent a downward eating spiral. 

Melissa provides an excellent example for moving forward after the holidays and looking not at what she’s DONE but what she is GOING TO DO: 

“I have decided the holidays are evil. I know that’s a strong statement but think about it for a second.  It’s all about people getting together and indulging in foods that you don’t normally make or eat but that are very YUMMY. Then you tell yourself, “Oh, I’ll just have one.”  Does anyone just have one cookie? Or one bite of those delicious dips?  I sure don’t!  The yummier foods are the more I tend to eat.  That’s why I know I have to limit the availability of those foods in my house.  During the holidays, it’s very hard to avoid those foods when visiting family and friends. Plus, you are so busy visiting, it’s hard to fit in exercise. This is why I consider them wicked, at least to some one that is trying to lead a healthier lifestyle.

“By now you realize the holiday’s did not go well for my healthier routine. But, I am now trying to get back on the right track. My goal is to exercise at least three times a week. Last week I exercised only once. It’s been hard to get back into the routine. I keep telling myself “just do it.”  (I am not trying to advertise for sneakers.) I plan to do Core twice this week and a 5k on the treadmill once. Now it’s out there – I have no choice but to just do it!

“As for eating it’s a similar situation. I am educated on what I should eat and I know the foods I like that are healthier. So really, I have to just do it. Why does it sound so easy when in fact it is not easy at all?  I guess if I was robot it would be easy – there would be no emotional eating, no eating when I am bored or tired, I would just eat to sustain life.  Although, robots don’t eat do they?  Well, maybe oil?  Okay my imagination is getting the best of me.  Anyway, I just have to eat healthier and not overeat.

“Okay I am off to the store to pack my fridge full of healthy foods! I really am going to just do it this week! Who’s with me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment